In December of 2011, during the Yule feast of the Baronies of Lyondemere and Gyldenholt, I competed for the honor of representing my home barony of Lyondemere as bardic champion. For this competition, entrants were required to perform (and provide documentation for) three pieces, with the following guidelines:
1. One period piece (pre-1650)
2. One original piece
3. One piece pertaining to Lyondemere, the sea, Caid, or the SCA as a whole
Additionally, I decided to tie in the Yuletide theme by basing all three of my performance pieces on my favorite work of medieval literature, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. This made the selection of pieces more challenging, but also more enjoyable, as I was able to bring important elements of this beloved story to a new audience.
1. The Beheading Game (original adaptation of a period text)
2. Carol of the Pentangle (original song in the style of a 14th C carol, incorporating Lyondemere)
3. Gawain’s Lament (by Mistress Fiana of Clare)